Friday, August 10, 2012

Surprise Plant Tricks

Once upon a time, my sister brought me an abandoned plant that she found on the side of the road.  I accepted it into my home, but sentenced it to a not-so-bright corner of the dining room, far from other plants, in case it carried bugs or disease. 

A few months later it bloomed.

I used my internet sleuthing capabilities and advice from family members to determine that it was possibly an orange jasmine

A leaf close-up:


For a couple of years now, I've kept it alive by watering it once a week, and periodically wondering if there's a better spot for it, but ultimately deciding that it's just too big for any place where it would get a good amount of light.  And in another week, I'd water it again.

But now, it's got my attention. As if to say, "Hey, I'm not chopped liver, look what I can do," the sad looking plant produced this last week.

Is it a lime?  A lemon? More internet sleuthing has found lime and lemon trees that look very similar.  But I've also found that the orange jasmine (a healthy one, anyway) produces little red fruits, which start out green.  This thing is half the size of a lime, though, so I'm hoping it's something edible.  And I'm starting to think that the leaves and blossoms look more like those in the lime and lemon tree link above, than an orange jasmine.  I guess we'll have to wait and see. 

Of course, now we're going to need to build a greenhouse to give this plant a proper spot. 

I hope you have a weekend filled with fun surprises!

No comments: