The minute I saw the recipe for Raspberry Coconut Macaroons on Smitten Kitchen, I wanted to make them for Easter. Raspberry and coconut sounded like a dream come true in a cookie to me, and the suggestion of drizzling some bittersweet chocolate on top had me curious. But then I waited until Easter Eve to go buy raspberries, and after three grocery stores, I was out of luck.
I can't tell you how wonderful these cookies are with raspberries, but they were pretty great with strawberries and blueberries. (Blackberries would have also been a good alternative, though I skipped over those at the first grocery store, still hoping to find that elusive pint of raspberries.) And, they were super-easy to make. If you don't like coconut, you should (obviously) skip this one, but as far as coconut macaroons go, the tartness of the fruit cuts the sweetness, and the processing of the coconut makes them lighter than other macaroons I've had. A definite keeper.
Strawberry and Blueberry Macaroons
Makes 50ish 1 1/4" round cookies
Preheat oven to 325.
1 14-ounce package of sweetened, flaked coconut
2/3 cup granulated sugar
3 large egg whites
1/4 heaped teaspoon flaked sea salt or 1/4 level teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 pint (6 ounces) blueberries and strawberries (or raspberries, if you can find them)
1. Blend the coconut in the food processor for a minute.
2. Add the sugar and blend for another minute.
3. Add the egg whites, sea salt and almond extract, and blend for another minute.
4. Add the fruit and blend in short pulses. Deb at Smitten Kitchen instructed/counted 13 short pulses, and I followed. There will be some white parts and some fruity parts. Do not stir them together.
5. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper and use a teaspoon to gather a little white batter with some fruity batter. Drop teaspoon-sized cookies onto the parchment paper, relatively close together as they won't spread.
6. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. (It was 28 for me.)
Be sure to check out the recipe on Smitten Kitchen if you do want to make these. She has way better pictures.
I hope you all had a great weekend!