The bathroom is coming along nicely. The last update was just after the drywall had been put in.
Then, Matt and his dad installed the shower and ceiling boards.
We purchased a Schluter-Kerdi shower kit, and they followed the directions. I stayed out of the way, so my version of what happened goes a little like this: There's a shower pan and then a curb, and then everything has to be sealed with the orange Kerdi membrane. It took them a couple of days to complete, and I didn't get the sense that it was their favorite part of the project so far.
We used 1x8 tongue-and-groove pine on the ceiling, stained with Old Master's Pickling White.
I had wanted them to be whiter, truth be told, but this is what we've got for now. Initially I bought a wiping stain, and then I discovered the penetrating stain when I went to a different store to pick up a second quart. Penetrating stain, well, penetrates, therefore you get a deeper color. Each board got a coat of each, but they would have been whiter if we had used penetrating stain from the start. Then they were sealed with two coats of matte polyurethane.
The most significant development was the addition of tile. This is when the bathroom really starts to look like a bathroom.
We hired a couple of guys to do this, and it was worth every penny. They worked for three days, while I made decisions about things I hadn't anticipated, like what color grout we wanted. I was not aware that there were any choices, let alone so many. So, here's what we've got:
3" hexagonal carrara marble on the shower floor, with silvertone sanded grout
Grazzio glass subway tiles in matte ice mist, with standard white grout
Serenissima Woodland tiles in Rovere on the bathroom floor, with sandstone beige grout
Yes, we went with tiles that look like wood. I was amazed with the options, and could have written a whole blog post about them, if I had been on the ball at the time. These looked rustic to us, and we liked them immediately. It easily solved the problem that I was unwilling to compromise on wood, but that you can't lay real wood on top of a heat mat. (And there was that concern that other people had about wood not holding up in a bathroom.)
After the tile was done, Matt and his dad installed the beadboard, and the plumber hooked up the shower fixtures, and the toilet. The selection of beadboard could have been yet another blog post. We wound up choosing 1x6 tongue-and-groove beadboard. We liked that it was slightly wider and much more sturdy looking than the (of course) less expensive options.
Now we don't have to go downstairs in the middle of the night. But there's no sink yet, so we can't wash our hands. Don't tell anyone.
Ta da! That is the bathroom so far. Next up: the ceiling trim and the linen closet. We have to wait another week for the shower door to arrive. Matt's dad is working on building us a vanity this week. And, I'm still on the hunt for a remnant piece of marble for the countertop. Stay tuned for more soon.