Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Purple Cherokee Tomatoes

I am loving these Purple Cherokee tomatoes, and they're still looking good, despite the late blight slowly destroying all thirteen of our tomato plants.

I think they are my second favorite next to the Brandywine, which so far cannot be surpassed.  But these are similar in texture and flavor, and they have a nice purple color.  I'll have to be sure to save some seeds for next year.

They're good sliced for sandwiches (BLTs, tomato/basil/mozzarella, grilled cheese and tomato are a few we've tried so far),
and they made a perfect end-of-summer tomato salad alongside our steak and corn-on-the-cob last night. 
 
 
I just drizzled them with enough olive oil to make them glisten, and seasoned with salt and pepper.  A little garlic or onion or fresh herbs might have been nice, but I decided to let them be.  They were delicious on their own.
 
I hope you all had a nice weekend!

No comments: