Monday, November 26, 2012

Banana Coconut Muffins

This is one of my go-to recipes when I have overly ripe bananas.  I also thought of these muffins when friends were stopping by for coffee the other day, and I wanted to bake something quick.  I love that I don't have to bother pulling out the mixer.  The problem was, the bananas looked pretty...yellow.
 
I did a little Googling and learned a trick.  I preheated the oven, and while I was preparing the batter, I roasted the bananas, and they turned brown.

The inside was roasted, bringing out the sweetness, and just the right "overripe" consistency.

Without further ado, here's a quick and easy recipe that I hope you'll enjoy as much as I do.

Banana Coconut Muffins
from Gourmet, May 2004

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
2 very ripe bananas, mashed (3/4 cup)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
2/3 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
 
Preheat oven to 375.
 
Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in one bowl. In another bowl, whisk together melted butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla.  Stir in mashed bananas, and 1/2 cup of the coconut.
 
Line a muffin tin with 8 liners and distribute the batter evenly among them.  Top with remaining coconut.  Bake for 25 minutes.

 
Yum!

1 comment:

Tortla Dot said...

Love the banana trick.! Here in Florida we have bananas and bananas. A Miami friend sent em a recipe for green bananas which are abundant. It is like a potato salad when done.

Green Banana Salad Joyce Cotner August 2012

6-10 green bananas
onion, chopped
green pepper, chopped
olive oil
1-2 T white vinegar
1-2 T Splenda
Spanish olives
Garlic, chopped
Pepper

Boil bananas, skin on, until they crack and turn black, 25-30 minutes. Peel & slice.
Saute onion, green pepper & garlic in small amount of olive oil.
Stir in vinegar, olives, Splenda & pepper.
Refrigerate. Stir as necessary.