Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Grilled Fish Tacos

I was working from home yesterday, and at around 1:30 I went out to the garden to contemplate watering.  It had felt like it was about to rain all day, and I decided to wait a few more hours.  When I went out again at 5:00, I saw that our edamame crop had been completely dessimated.  Again.  In the span of a few hours, some large predator(s) strolled through in broad daylight and helped themselves. 
There were once leaves on those sticks.  I had originally blamed the deer, but this time there were no hoof prints, and they even got to the ones I planted deeper in the garden.  Either they are very sly and delicate deer, or it's still a mystery.  I was due to re-spray, but it's clear this is not a problem that is just going to go away.

Facing the reality that we either have to build a big fence, or we'll never experience the sweet taste of edamame picked fresh from our garden, I was glad we had a good dinner planned.  I have been thinking about making grilled fish tacos for a while.  I cobbled together three different recipes, and skipped the idea of a cabbage slaw or salsa, though I might try one or both with the next attempt.  These were simple and delicious.

Grilled Fish Tacos

1 pound white flaky fish (haddock)
1/4 cup olive oil
juice of one lime
1 T chili powder (recipes called for ancho chili powder, which I wish I had)
1 t cumin
1 jalapeno, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves

Wisk together the above ingredients and let the fish marinate for 20 minutes.

For the Mexican crema:
1/2 cup sour cream
zest of 1 lime
juice of 1/2 a lime
pinch of salt

For the onions:
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups red wine vinegar
Let them soak for at least 30 minutes.  (We had lots leftover, but they keep for weeks, and they are good.)

For the avocado:
1 avocado, sliced

Turn on the grill.  We used a grill pan to cook the fish on medium heat for about 5 minutes on each side.  (Recipes seemed to indicate it would be less time, but ours took a bit longer.)
Grill the tortillas for 15 seconds on each side. You're looking for them to bubble.  Divide the fish among the tortillas and garnish with any or all of the garnishes.


 So good I almost forgot about our garden woes.

No comments: