Friday, June 3, 2011

Weekend To-Do List

A quick walk around the yard is all I need to formulate my to do list for the weekend. 

The hosta are looking pretty, but I should get some anti-slug stuff and apply it before it's too late. 

That reminds me that I need to spray around the pee gee hydrangea to make sure the deer don't eat them again this year.

The tomatoes have tripled in size overnight, so it's probably time to read up again on how to care for them so we don't have a repeat of Tomato Failure 2010.

I'd swear I could see the zucchini and butternut squash growing as I stood there.  I planted three seeds to a spot (for the cucumbers, too), but I've got to figure out when I trim them down to just one plant.  My book says with the "first true leaf," but I'm not sure if that means these leaves, or the big squash leaves.  I think I'm supposed to wait.

Something's eating the arugula (a bug), and I'd like to figure out if there's anything I can do about that before we lose the younger plants, too.  These aren't going in any salad I'm going to eat.

The good news is that it looks like 8-10 of the 28 edamame plants survived the May monsoons.

And, the garlic is still the star of the vegetable garden.  (Those are shallots in front of the garlic.)

If you're wondering what happened to last weekend's to-do list:
1. Negotiate a deal on the sofa I'm stalking. Wait for summer sale; I fell on my negotiating face.
2. I decided to go with the seagrass shades for the living room.
3. I have the supplies for the floor lamp makeover, which is now on this weekend's list.
4. I have no idea when I'm going to get to washing the inside of all the windows.  Fall?
5. Scrubbing the porch was bumped for spreading mulch last weekend after I wasn't able to take Friday off, so this weekend we scrub, and next weekend (time and weather permitting) we stain.

The last thing I'll add to this weekend's list is finding balance with a little relaxation, which shouldn't be the biggest challenge, but sometimes it is.  We're kicking things off with a game at Fenway Park tonight.

Happy weekend!

No comments: