Thursday, September 15, 2011

Behold the Brandywine

We finally have a tomato we can eat. 
We have been enjoying cherry tomatoes for a couple of months now, but this is our first real tomato.  Tonight there will be tomato salad.  My great aunt used to make "August 1st Tomato Salad" with garden tomatoes, garlic, onion, olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregano, and other fresh herbs.  I will make "September 15th Tomato Salad."

We threw away the first several before they ripened because they looked diseased.

I started feeding them fish emulsion, every other week, in early August, I think.  After that, someone said they looked like they needed calcium, so I dissolved some epsom salts in water and sprinkled those around the base of the tomato plant.  I don't know if one or both of these is the reason for success, but I will definitely be testing the soil next year, and feeding the tomatoes.

I also have high hopes for these guys, waiting in the wings.
Have a beautiful day!

1 comment:

Tortla Dot said...

August 1st Tomato Salad may not really need any vinegar at all. It is great on pasta IF you have any leftover. Ha! It goes perfectly with grilled chicken basted using a brush made of basil. Clearly the mood is set for the peaches in red wine. Any grapes growing yet?