Not only did all the joints need regluing, but the finish was in need of a serious sanding (covered in some sort of bumpy shellac), and the seat was covered in stains and cat hair. So, I took it home.
I unscrewed the seat, and used wood glue on all the joints. While that was drying, I removed not one, not two, but seven layers of fabric until whatever they used for stuffing before foam was invented revealed itself in a powdery, disintegrated mess all over my floor. I used spray adhesive to attach a new piece of foam, covered that with quilted batting, and then a new piece of fabric. I sanded and painted the base and reattached the seat.