Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Garden Vegetable Pasta

I was hoping to add a zucchini to this, but we had a couple the other night, and the rest are too small yet.  Still, our harvest made a nice weeknight dinner. 

Garden Vegetable Pasta

1 baby eggplant
2 baby scallions
8 cherry tomatoes (red and sun gold)
1 large garlic clove
fresh basil
fresh ground pepper
olive oil
kosher salt
grated parmesan

Like any good pasta, it started with generously salted water, and ended with grated parmesan and lots of fresh ground pepper.  As far as I'm concerned, that's all good pasta needs.  Maybe a little olive oil, and some garlic.  Anything you add after that is usually good, but never necessary.

I peeled, sliced thin, and salted the eggplant, then let it sit while I prepared the rest of the veggies.  I sauteed the garlic in some olive oil, and added the eggplant.  Once it started to brown, I added the tomatoes and scallions. 

Meanwhile, I drained the pasta, and drizzled with olive oil.  Then I added plenty of parmesan and fresh ground pepper, and topped it with the vegetables and thinly sliced basil. 
 Perfect.  The baby eggplants are really flavorful. 

After dinner I spent a little time browsing the well-timed seed catalog that came in the mail.  I'm working on my plans, and hoping I can find room for a few things I hadn't planned on.  Bibb lettuce? Peas? Swiss chard?  I need to place my order soon, including our garlic for fall planting.

1 comment:

Tortla Dot said...

Yummy! I always want to add butter - bad habit.

I experimented with leftover grilled eggplant to jazz up leftover pizza. No butter needed. Great!