I finished ripping most of the orange daylilies from a bed full of them and planting new flowers just in time for Hurricane Irene's arrival. It was a two stage process, and it wasn't fun. Those daylilies have the most extensive root systems; I like them even less than I did before I started. Don't get me wrong- I think they're pretty for the few weeks they're in bloom, but this whole bed was filled with only orange daylilies (I had a before photo but I can't seem to find it), and we needed more to look at the rest of the season. I did transplant the orange daylilies into areas with nothing but weeds on the edge of our property.
My first attempt at this project was cut short due to lack of patience, but I persevered the second time, refusing to let the daylilies win. I hope it was worth it. These alone may make me happy enough for the moment to make me think it was.
In the back there's the tiniest bit of euonymus that may or may not grow, a couple of bee balm transplants that I have just as much faith in, and a new Japanese anemone called Honorine Jobert, which will grow to be about 4'x4' and will look like this when it blooms in the next few weeks.
zucchini fritters just posted on Smitten Kitchen while we're hunkered down, assuming we have electricity.