Monday, December 12, 2011

Sunday Soups: Red Lentil

I hope everyone had a good weekend.  It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas around here.  We're still picking parsley, scallions, leeks and arugula from the garden, but the wreaths are up,

the cactus is blooming,
and our little tree is decorated.
I'm providing holiday photos to distract from the out-of-focus pictures I took of the soup before we had it for lunch yesterday.  I must have hit a button and not realized it.  I don't know how to use the fancy borrowed camera I'm working with, and my mind was on dinner.  We had friends and family for a holiday gathering, tested out the ottoman tray, and I made my first standing rib roast.  Which cooked an hour faster than it was supposed to.  Just like the Thanksgiving turkey.  Something tells me my new oven may need calibrating.  Anyway, the handy meat thermometer told us when to take it out, so it was perfect, just early.

This is one of my go-to favorites because it's so healthy and quick to make.  The preparation has a good rhythm to it.  The chopping time is incorporated into the waiting time.  Depending on the ingredients I have on hand, I've used both this Gourmet recipe, and this one.  I prefer the latter, choosing red pepper over tomato, and cilantro over parsley.  Both recipes are great. 
Red Lentil Soup

1 pound red lentils, picked over
7 cups water
1 cup chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
5 carrots (about 10 ounces), chopped
1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup packed fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup chopped scallion greens
cayenne to taste
salt and pepper

In a 4-quart saucepan bring lentils and water to a boil and skim froth. (Chop the onion and garlic.) Stir in onion, garlic, ground coriander, cumin, and turmeric and simmer, partially covered, 15 minutes. (Chop the carrots and pepper.) Stir in carrots and bell pepper and simmer until carrots are tender, about 10 minutes. (Chop the cilantro and scallions.) Soup may be prepared up to this point 3 days ahead, cooled, uncovered, and chilled, covered. Stir in cilantro, scallions, cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste.

And, this is the best shot I got.
Have a good week!

2 comments:

Tortla Dot said...

Love those wreaths! Did you make them????

Karen @ GoodBetterNest said...

Thanks, Dot! No, I did not make them. The first one is fresh oregonia. I toyed with the idea of buying the branches and making my own wreath, but maybe next year.