Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Weekend Harvest

While I was out in the garden picking arugula for Sunday's soup, I decided it was time to give up on the carrots and beets I planted in August.  It's December.  I think that's fair.  I pulled a modest harvest, and we used what we had for dinner.
I had a chicken to roast, and thought we'd have some carrots, beets and leeks roasted alongside. The largest carrots were pretty small,

so I had to supplement with a few of the store-bought variety.  I also used the parsley and chives, which continue to grow gloriously, for an herbed quinoa that was delicious.

Oh why, oh why did my vegetables not grow?  I give up.  That's a problem I will try to understand next year.   We have more leeks and scallions and herbs to enjoy in the meantime, and in the Spring, maybe some parsnips. Fingers crossed.

No comments: