Monday, December 5, 2011

Sunday Soups: White Bean, Potato and Arugula

It's December and we've still got vegetables in the garden, thanks to the mild weather we've been having.  I picked some arugula and decided it was time for one of my favorite soups.

I have never bothered to try the original recipe, but like the ingredients and find that it is delicious even with lots of short cuts.  I don't doubt that the real recipe is great, but I like a soup that I can make quickly, usually while I'm also making dinner.  The bottom line is, it calls for 10 cloves of garlic, so how can you go wrong?  (That actually seems excessive to me, and I love garlic, so sometimes I use a little less.)

White Bean, Potato and Arugula Soup
adapted from Bon Appetit

1 15 oz. can of cannelini
2 bay leaves
6 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
2 cups Yukon Gold potato, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (I don't even bother to peel them)
10 garlic cloves, chopped
6 cups low-salt chicken broth
3 cups arugula, tough stems removed, chopped
1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
salt and pepper to taste

Heat 6 tablespoons olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add potato pieces and sauté until brown in spots, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and rosemary, and sauté until garlic begins to color, about 3 minutes. Add 6 cups chicken broth and bay leaves, and boil until potato pieces are falling apart, about 10 minutes. Add beans and parmesan rind and bring to boil.  Reduce heat and simmer just until beans are tender, about 10 minutes. Season soup generously with salt and pepper. Stir arugula and crushed red pepper into soup, and simmer 5 minutes. Remove the bay leaves and parmesan rind.  Serve topped with parmesan, if you'd like.

Yum.

1 comment:

Tortla Dot said...

Yum! Makes me think of a very special aunt known for her soups and love for life! And her inimitable laugh!